Wednesday, April 6, 2011

hello! 0‏4/06/11 Week 9

Hey Fam!!
How's everyone doing??  Feel free, if youre still keeping the blogspot thing updated, to put that email I sent to dad up....since I don't really have a ton of time to do email haha, only half hour.  Anyway, this week has been good! Only 5 more days here in the MTC!! pretty crazy, but I'm stoked to finally get out there and get to work.  So, General Conference was amazing. I'm sure you enjoyed it as much as I did.  It was awesome to actually get to listen to every talk and take notes, rather than the usual of me, falling asleep on the couch halfway through the first session ;).  But anyway, it was great.  It's hard to keep track of everything that happened this week, since it blends together terribly....so if I mention something that happened last week, sorry.  On Sunday I got to hear a devotional from Vai Sikahema.  He's from Philadelphia (i think)?, played on the 1984 championship BYU football team, served his mission in Rapid City, South Dakota, was an NBC sports reporter in Philly, played for the eagles in the NFL for a few years.  He was an awesome speaker!  One story that he shared with us was when he was a news reporter.  So, at the Phillies baseball game a few years ago they had "Mormon Night".  The Cubs were playing the Phillies that night.  Anyway, for the national anthem before the game, they had the missionaries from the area sing (64 Elders in all).  Usually during this time, the players will go to the locker room to stretch and get ready for the game,  but the great Sammy Sosa sat in the dugout during the anthem, the only player to stay behind.  Vai Sikahema was a little astonished that Sammy would sit and watch the missionaries sing instead of go with the team.  Vai went and asked him after and Sammy said, "I played baseball with the missionaries in the Domincan Republic when I was a kid."  He had great respect for the missionaries and I thought it was awesome.  After the missionaries finished singing, and talking to Vai, he went out onto the field and shook every Elder's hand.  It was an amazing story and it gave me a new perspective on the impact that missionaries can have in many different ways.  Also, Vai shared a ton of other stories, but another interesting fact he shared was that he was the one that came up with the Wednesday's Child phrase "Forever Families."  I thought you might be interested in that Mom haha.  He would show us clips of his newscasts and it was way funny cuz he would incorporate somekind of doctrine or testimony during the newscast haha.  Like one time, while doing the news sports cast, he had the missionaries singing called to serve in the background hahaha.  All the people that worked at the news station thought he was weird...but he's a stud.  Anyway, I don't have much time so I just want to say that I love you all and miss you so much!!  I pray for you all everyday and I'm so grateful for your prayers, they have definitely effected and helped me out while I've been here.  I can't wait to get to Argentina and to share the Gospel.  It's coming quick, and I'm a little antsy/nervous....but I know this is the Lord's work.  Thank you all for everything.  I should be calling sometime on Monday from the airport in SLC or Atlanta.  Ciao!
~Elder Winger

No comments:

Post a Comment